See a dental professional such as a denturist or dentists on a regular basis. Your mouth changes often and regular dental appointments are required to keep a good and comfortable fit. It is important to replace worn or dentures that don’t fit properly before it causes significant mouth issues. Do not attempt to repair or reline your denture at home as it may cause serious damage to your dentures and gums. Poor fitting dentures can also be the cause of spots that may need urgent medical attention.
Initial Adjustment Period
- You can expect some adjustment for the first month after getting a fixed partial, removable partial, or full denture. If discomfort lasts more than three or four days, contact your dental professional.
- Consider improving your hygiene as it can be the reason for denture issues.
- Also ensure you are using a professional denture cleaner such as Renew Denture Cleaner.
- As you age the tissues become more sensitive to pressure and can cause sore spots. To make your denture more comfortable rinse with baking soda and water or salt and water. If your mouth remains sore and untreated, it can cause more serious problems. Contact your dental professional if the soreness continues.
- Over time, lower dentures may not fit as well. Your dental professional can help in several ways including a soft liner. This permanent liner will stay soft as long as the denture lasts.
- An upper denture usually causes the least amount discomfort. One advantage of the upper denture is improved suction with the roof of the mouth.
Xerostomia (Dry Mouth) The following may be causes of xerostomia:
- cancer treatment
- removal of glands
- Sjögren’s Syndrome
- thyroid problem
Dry mouth can make eating difficult and wearing your dentures uncomfortable. There are several options for relieving the dryness such as drink water more often and using Biotene. In addition, avoid alcohol, tobacco and caffeine.
Ensuring your vitamin and mineral levels are sufficient is also important. Ensure you diet includes enough nutrition and if it doesn’t, consider OnePro Diet to help supplement it.
Dentures will help you to eat better, speak better, and look better. Consider a premium denture to look and feel your best.
For more information see our Denture Solutions section.